Divest from Fossil Fuels, Invest in Climate Jobs!
In conjunction with the Sheffield Climate Alliance, the Campaign against Climate Change Trade Union Group have organised a conference to take place in Sheffield on 19th September. Just 10 weeks before the crucial international climate change negotiations in Paris, this event will:
- let you know how you can get involved in actions in the UK and Paris - including what is expected to be the largest ever UK climate change demonstration on 29 November in London;
- report back from an international conference in Paris called by the International Trade Union Confederation and CaCCTU on climate jobs and green union activism around the world;
- establish the connections between divestment from fossil fuels and investment in climate jobs to create warm, healthy homes; public transport with low fares; and renewable energy infrastructure;
- give you the tools to campaign on pension fund divestment within your union
The conference will be held at Sheffield College, which is an accessible location close to Sheffield train station. The event is supported by Sheffield Trades Union Council and Sheffield People's Assembly.
This event is ideal for anyone who wants to see a real alternative to austerity, unemployment and fuel poverty. It will highlight the importance of training for new jobs to tackle climate change, and the significance of divestment for a safe future, especially for the youth of today.
There is a registration fee of £10, and concessions are £5.
- Martin Mayer, Sheffield Trades Council – Welcome to Sheffield
- Louise Haigh, MP for Sheffield Heeley – taking Climate Jobs to Parliament
- Dani Paffard, Divestment Campaigner for 350.org – next steps for Divestment
- Graham Petersen, Environment Officer for UCU – report-back on International Climate Jobs Conference
- Asad Rehman, Friends of the Earth – International campaigning around the Paris COP
- Suzanne Jeffery, Campaign against Climate Change – Building Time to Act!
- John Hilary, War on Want – What is TTIP and how can we oppose it?
- Matthew Burnett-Stuart, Campaign against the Arms Trade – ‘Arms to Renewables’
- David Burley and David Shaw, Frack-Free South Yorks – Fighting Fracking
- plus ‘Bringing the Campaign to your local Council and Pension Fund’ with SCA,
- ‘Communicating Climate Change’ with Nick Nuttgens,
- ‘Building locally for the London and Paris demonstrations’ with Brighton CAN,
- ‘Creating Political Inroads for One Million Climate Jobs’ (tbc)
- Open Space for small group discussion of your questions and proposals.
Address: Granville Road, Sheffield, S2 2RL
If you're coming by train, make your way to the tram lines, which is signposted and is the opposite direction of the main entrance. Coming out of the door, turn right and keep to the right side of the tram tracks walking ahead. You will come to a traffic light crossing, cross over and continue, you will see the college building ahead as it is a big building with wind turbines. Walk up the drive, past the nursery and through to the main entrance. You will be greeted by the guard on the main desk, after signing in he will direct to you to the dining room where the conference is taking place.
If you are coming by bus from somewhere else in the country, it is very likely you will arrive at or very near to the Sheffield Bus Interchange. There is a walkway leading from the interchange to the train station, if you struggle to find it ask one of the members of staff to point you in the right direction. Then walk through the train station to the tramlines and follow the other directions (Train) to get to the college.
See college link below for bikes, scooters and motorcycles.